« October Winner! | Main | KNIT ONE READ TOO ON HIATUS! »

October 19, 2005

Women Authors Wanted!

Now accepting nominations for November's book - discussion to start November 28th.

Let's try something different - please nominate books written by women! Only women. (Not trying to be sexist here, but we seem to have a glut of men.)

Thanks! Voting soon!
Best,
Cara

Posted by Knit One Read Too at October 19, 2005 11:59 AM

Comments

I say we read "The Fifth Sacred Thing" by Starhawk. An amazing book about the potential for our future and how we, as humans now, can influence that future.

Posted by: Sara* at October 19, 2005 12:28 PM

Woman on the edge of time - Marge Piercey

or

The White Album
or
Play it as it lays
by Joan Didion

Posted by: melanie at October 19, 2005 01:23 PM

May I suggest
Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller

or
The Scapegoat by Daphne Du Maurier

Posted by: Lily at October 19, 2005 02:32 PM

Julie and Julia Project: a book a woman wrote about cooking all the recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking sounds like fun.

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

Posted by: Lisa at October 19, 2005 03:13 PM

I would love to read Julie and Julia....

Posted by: Kris at October 19, 2005 06:02 PM

I second Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy.

Posted by: Amanda at October 19, 2005 06:14 PM

My votes: The rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds. This is the story of Ninah Huff, the granddaughter of the founder of a "fire and brimstone" church. She becomes pregnant, but denies that she has sinned. I read this several years ago and loved it.

or

Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler. This is the story of an overworked and underappreciated mom (sound familiar?). While on vacation she gets a ride from the plumber fixing the cottage pipes and starts a new life with only a few cents in her beach coverup pockets. Indulge me, she stole my fantasy "wink".

Posted by: Rebecca at October 19, 2005 06:57 PM

Prodigal Summer or The Poisonwood Bible. Both by Barbara Kingsolver.

Posted by: Mindy at October 19, 2005 07:16 PM

The Icarus Girl by Helen Oyeyemi...

Posted by: mrspilkington at October 20, 2005 09:43 AM

The Ladies Gallery by Irene Vilar

Posted by: Margaux Pena at October 23, 2005 05:30 PM

Something by Louise Erdrich, maybe Master Butcher's Singing Club, or The Painted Drum. Strong women live in these books...

Posted by: Jane at October 24, 2005 06:35 AM

I third the vote for Julie and Julia.

Posted by: Sandy J at October 24, 2005 12:51 PM

OT: will we be conducting the October and November discussions at the same time? I am curious what others thought about Yellow Jack.

Posted by: alice at October 28, 2005 12:28 AM

I liked Julie and Julia; it's not fiction, but it is entertaining. On my to-read list, books by women include Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell, Seven Gothic Tales by Isak Dinesen, The Position by Meg Wolitzer (this is supposed to be a great story about kids in the sixties whose parents write a Joy of Sex-type manual), and The Wonder Spot by Melissa Bank (she wrote Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing, which I liked).

Posted by: Donna at October 28, 2005 12:04 PM

Has anyone read any books by Kaye Gibbons? I just finished reading "Divining Women". The book was beautifully written. Best of all it was short, just the right length for the busy holiday season. Her other titles include, "Ellen Foster", "Charms for the Easy Life", "A Virtuous Woman", there are others as well.

Posted by: Patricia at November 4, 2005 07:19 AM

It's the first time i ran through your site and I found it very informative and interesting. Nicely done! thins that excited you at 14: http://www.yahoo.co.uk , thins that excited you at 14 , thins that excited you at 14

Posted by: Ian Adams at November 4, 2005 08:49 PM

Hello:
I signedup last month. Haven't heard from anyone. I can't find where the book discussion for Yellow jack is either.
Can someone point me to the right direction?
Maggie