« October Vote - NOLA Style | Main | Women Authors Wanted! »

September 14, 2005

October Winner!

It was very close, but we have a new read!

Yellow Jack

by Josh Russell

The Moviegoer was a close second. I have to say, Yellow Jack was my choice! I can't wait to start. The discussion will begin on October 17th. Happy Reading!

Cara

Posted by Knit One Read Too at September 14, 2005 09:01 AM

Comments

Yay. I just checked it out from the library last night. I was watching the vote very closely to figure out what to check out. Can't wait to start reading it.

Posted by: erica at September 14, 2005 11:33 AM

Yay!! That's the one I wanted the most -- there were some close ones, though.

Posted by: Vicki at September 14, 2005 11:34 AM

woohoo!! Id like to think that somehow I swayed the vote ; )

Posted by: Yahaira at September 14, 2005 01:07 PM

I loved all the choices and am thinking on taking a New Orleans odyssey for my next few book choices. Read Yellow Jack while on vacation last week and really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the discussion to start.

Posted by: Lisa at October 2, 2005 05:07 PM

Hi,
Just wondered if the discussion had started already and I wasn't looking in the right spot.

alice

Posted by: alice at October 18, 2005 10:23 PM

Where do you go for the discussion can't find it on the site.
Maggie

Posted by: maggie at November 3, 2005 09:01 PM

Yellow Jack comment:
I have to admit I wasn't all that thrilled when Yellow Jack was chosen. But I am willing to read almost anything. So I got around to buying a copy and reading it the weekend before the discussion was slated to start.
Yellow Jack reminds me of Possession by AS Byatt.
Did anyone else feel that way? While Possession was more layered (almost smotheringly so,more descriptive, and more atmospheric; there is something about the back and forth, museum catalog aspect of Yellow Jack that kept the similarity present for me.
I was disappointed that more of New Orleans was not in the story. But I do not think it was the authors intention to write a N.O. story per se, it was just a colourful location that fit the time/era/topic.
What I took away from the reading was that, unless an artisan documents his/her life very carefully, all sorts of attributions, presumptions, ans assumptions will be made. That History is not so much written by the victors as it is by the critics.

Posted by: alice at November 7, 2005 11:46 PM