« DQ Reading Schedule | Main | October Vote - NOLA Style »

August 31, 2005

Fall into a Good Book!

Let's get the season started right!

Leave your nominations for the book you'd like to discuss in October in the comments on this post. At the end of the week, I will put up a poll for voting with four or five choices.

So give me your titles everyone!
Thanks,
Cara

Posted by Knit One Read Too at August 31, 2005 02:36 PM

Comments

"The Secret Life of Bees", by Sue Monk Kidd. This is a fabulous, fabulous novel about a young girl coming of age in South Carolina.

Posted by: Kirsten at August 31, 2005 03:00 PM

The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss
Case Histories by Kate Atkinson
Saturday by Ian McKewan (sp?)

Posted by: Anmiryam at August 31, 2005 03:06 PM

A Complicated Kindness, Miriam Toews

Posted by: Eva at August 31, 2005 03:08 PM

I'll leave a couple of ideas:

Pope Joan by Donna Woolfolk Cross (come on, you've gotta love that name - Woolfolk)
Samaritan by Richard Price (just finished it and it's really good)
I'll also second Secret Life of Bees, since I just received that book.

Posted by: Renee at August 31, 2005 03:17 PM

I really did love Secret Life of Bees. I'll also nominate Life of Pi, the Kite Runner, and Wicked.

Posted by: yahaira at August 31, 2005 03:32 PM

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
On Beauty - Zadie Smith
The Secret Life of Bees would be good too. I've already read it but it's a nice manageable length. Or maybe her new book - The Mermaid Chair?

Posted by: Lisa at August 31, 2005 03:45 PM

I'm glad you had the exact same experience with D.Q. as I did, I was feeling intensely guilty!

I was just given Middlesex with a high recommendation.

Posted by: Tia at August 31, 2005 03:46 PM

How about The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald.
The Secret Life of Bees is a great book, the Mermaid Chair, well, I have some strong opinions about that book. I love the MacDonald book.

Posted by: Teresa C at August 31, 2005 03:55 PM

Good, I am not the only one. I didn't even look at the discussion through guilt.

Maybe something light? Wicked is extremely good, but is definitely an "either you will get into it or not" sort of book. There just doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

Can anyone think of a more comedic work?

Posted by: Seanna Lea at August 31, 2005 04:10 PM

Kite Runner
The History of Love
The Historian

My book club has read The Secret Life of Bees and Wicked - both were good discussion picks.

Posted by: Mary Ellen at August 31, 2005 04:46 PM

I would love to read either The Mermaid Chair or the Secret Life of Bees.
Kite Runner
Everything is Illuminated (timely since the movie is about to come out)

Posted by: Jenn at August 31, 2005 05:30 PM

Kite Runner
Life of Pi
Brick Lane by Monica Ali

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 31, 2005 05:39 PM

Joyce Carol Oates -- The Tattooed Girl
Maureen Gibbon -- Swimming Sweet Arrow (this ones a YA novel, but it would lead to some GREAT discussion)

I'm also down with "Bees" as I own it but haven't gotten to reading it yet.

I can't remember - Did we read and discuss "Reading Lolita in Tehran"?

Posted by: Sara* at August 31, 2005 05:44 PM

I'm up for either of Sue Monk Kidd's books.

Haven't read 'em but they're on my 'to read' list.

Or Kite Runner.

Posted by: Amy at August 31, 2005 09:19 PM

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
or
I know it's a young adult book, but I liked it:
Sabriel by Garth Nix

Posted by: *Erin* at August 31, 2005 11:04 PM

Lots of votes for The Secret Life....
I nominate: Red Earth and Pouring Rain, by Vikram Chandra or any book by either Jasper Fforde or Haruki Murakami :)

Posted by: alice at August 31, 2005 11:57 PM

A heartbreaking work of staggering genius by Eggers
or
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Foer

Posted by: tara at September 1, 2005 12:55 PM

Secret Life of Bees!! I just got that one too!

Posted by: Esther at September 3, 2005 06:27 PM

If I had known that everyone wanted to read Secret Life of Bees, I totally would have picked it up for cheep at the Local B & N.

I would suggest a comleatly different genre, and go with "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul" by Douglas Adams. (He wrote the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy). It's really funny, and short.

Or perhaps "Lullaby" by Chuck Palahnuck. Disturbing (but not in a bad way).

Posted by: lisa at September 7, 2005 08:33 PM

I loved the Secret Life of Bees so much I gave my copy to my best friend. I don't think I'd read it again though... too many other books to read before I die!
I second Tara's vote for one of these:
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Foer
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, Eggers; and would like to also suggest Russell Shorto's The Island at the Center of the World--a nonfiction enjoyable read about the Dutch Manhattan and how that colony helped shape America.

Posted by: Patti Blaine at September 9, 2005 10:15 AM

How about a couple from a few seasons ago?

Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood
The Master Butchers Singing Club, by Louise Erdrich
The Falls, by Joyce Carol Oates

All in paperback, and three of my favorite authors.

Posted by: Lorette at September 9, 2005 12:06 PM