« Time Travel to Summer! | Main | DQ Reading Schedule »

June 14, 2005

Man of La Mancha

I've gone all executive on your asses and picked the summer book myself!

Don Quixote
by Miguel de Cervantes

I will be reading the Edith Grossman translation - linked above - which has just been issued in paperback.

I'm thinking we'll meet a few times over the Summer - details to come! Hope you'll take the journey with me!

Best,
Cara

Posted by Knit One Read Too at June 14, 2005 10:22 AM

Comments

I'm in! I got the book (the new translation) last week. Looking forward to it.

Posted by: Elizabeth at June 14, 2005 11:55 AM

Just ordered it! Oh, it makes my life so much easier when I don't have to contribute a vote.
:-)

Posted by: Amy at June 14, 2005 02:38 PM

Have you seen how thick this damn thing is? I have yet to see the paperback but I'm curious to see how they're holding its massiveness together. ;)

Posted by: Bookish Wendy at June 14, 2005 02:58 PM

Hurray!
I'll be joining you too, but I'll be reading mine in Spanish while on my vacation in Mexico. I almost bought my copy last week, but maybe I should wait and get it in Mexico.
Happy reading.

Posted by: Nancy at June 19, 2005 01:24 AM

Just got my copy! I'm stoked!

Posted by: Vanessa at June 20, 2005 11:15 PM

Just received my copy today. I'm about to crawl into bed and begin it! I'm glad we are going to meet up a few times as we read. That will be an interesting way to approach it. And I love to talk about books as I read them.

Posted by: Deb at June 23, 2005 02:10 AM

Ohhhhh, I've always wanted to read that. YAY!

Posted by: Heather at June 29, 2005 08:46 AM

In case you didn't know, Barnes and Noble has their own paperback editions on a Buy 2 - Get 1 Free promotion. I purchased this one and the book for "Knit the Classics" and got a free one! They were around $8 or $9 each, so a great deal.

Posted by: Jenn at June 29, 2005 11:47 AM

Oh how I detest Harold Bloom. I know a lot of the books he's discussing, and he just squeezes the life out of them! Everytime I read something he's written, I feel like he must be a frustrated novelist who is compensating by repeatedly bashing us over the head with his academia.

On a more positive note, the note by the translator was fun - she let us into her personal process, and conveyed her own interest so well, she made me want to go find the other works she has translated.

And Cervantes is just wonderful. I wish he'd written a real autobiography; his life was an incredible story in itself! Good pick, thank you!

Posted by: Patti at July 1, 2005 02:56 PM

How long do we have to read the book? When's the first discussion? Anyone knitting something to go along with the book? I'm looking for a lace shawl pattern that looks Spanish. I have no idea what would make a shawl look Spanish, but was hoping someone else would. Something with a large floral motif, perhaps? Any suggestions?

Posted by: Jenn at July 2, 2005 05:52 PM

I'm in for this. A bit of a late start. I tend to like trashy beach reading for the summer. Since it's almost over :( I thought I might be able to handle this big boy.
I got the Penguin Classic version translated by J.M. Cohen from my library. It's a paperback version and seems to be in good shape.

Posted by: Amy at August 31, 2005 09:33 PM