« Runaway Winner! | Main | Man of La Mancha »

May 30, 2005

Time Travel to Summer!

In a different time, we'd all read the classics. At least that's what I tell myself. So why not go back in time this summer and read a classic? I'm proposing we read a BIG BOOK and have the discussion go over two months - July and August.

I'd love to read Don Quixote - it's the 400th Anniversary of the book and Edith Grossman's acclaimed translation is now in paperback. Or maybe East of Eden? Bleak House? The Brothers Karamazov?

Tell me what you think of the idea and we'll make this a classic summer. Leave a comment, or send me an email.

Oh and yeah, the May discussion of The Time Traveler's Wife has begun. Thank you!

Posted by Knit One Read Too at May 30, 2005 10:01 AM

Comments

Don Quixote is a great idea. I'm also suggesting Middlemarch by George Eliot.

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 30, 2005 10:29 AM

Summer is the perfect time for a bigger book! East Of Eden has been on my list for a while. And it would be a good time to try Don Quixote. I'll probably try it in English this time (we read part in Spanish in HS). Great idea :)

Posted by: Vicki at May 30, 2005 10:31 AM

Mmm, how edifying! :) I agree, great idea! Any of the above would be fine with me.

Posted by: Patti Blaine at May 30, 2005 10:56 AM

Sounds good to me too. I remember reading it in college...that was a long time ago!

Posted by: Violet at May 30, 2005 11:14 AM

I bought a copy of Don Quixote some months ago and would love to read it along with this group. I had started reading it and was surprised at how funny it is.

Posted by: JBB at May 30, 2005 11:26 AM

What a wonderful idea! I'm just finishing East of Eden and it would be a great choice. I've always wanted to read Don Quixote, maybe now's the time. Or maybe an Austen or Bronte choice. And just about any of Dickens' works would be good. Does that sound indecisive?? Make a list and put it to a vote!

Posted by: Lorette at May 30, 2005 11:30 AM

Ooh, Don Quixote sounds good. I haven't read that one yet and I need a good summer book.

Posted by: hojo at May 30, 2005 11:36 AM

If folks couldn't make it through a book like Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, I'd be surprised if they'd make it through Don Quixote. But I could be wrong.

Posted by: Janice in Ga at May 30, 2005 11:36 AM

Not really sure how you can compare the two - Strange and DQ - one's a bonafide masterpiece, the other well, a popular novel. Although they both are long. ;-)

I, for one, read 150 pages of Strange and didn't make it through. But I like to give DQ that same 150 page chance. You never know until you try.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Keep 'em coming. I'll put the nomiation vote up later this week.

Posted by: Knit One Read Too at May 30, 2005 11:48 AM

Brothers Karamazov (especially the Richard Pevear, Larissa Volokhonsky translation) sounds good, as does Don Quixote...

Posted by: mrspilkington at May 30, 2005 12:06 PM

Good idea, I would love to re-read East of Eden, don't think I ever read it in English.

Posted by: Lu at May 30, 2005 12:16 PM

Wow. I was honestly just thinking a few days ago that perhaps I might email you and suggest that we occasionally do a "themed" book - classic, nonfiction, graphic, whatever. Wonderful to see this idea!

DQ would be fantastic, and a popular choice considering the aniversary. (love the ice cream as well!) And I think the problem many people had with Strange was the plot and writing style, not the length --- doesn't mean we can't choose a thick book again. ;)

Posted by: Sandy J at May 30, 2005 12:30 PM

I haven't read Don Quixote yet. That would be a good summer read. The other book I'm interested in for summer reading is The Arabian Nights. A few of my employees have been talking about it lately.

Posted by: Deb at May 30, 2005 12:39 PM

DQ would be fun. Someone else suggested Brontes, and it would be fun to read one of the less-read (although highly-regarded) works like Charlotte Bronte's Villette.

Posted by: Amy at May 30, 2005 01:05 PM

I'm up for any of those--though last summer's Anna Karenina still languishes. . .What happened with the previous vote? Are we putting that choice until fall?

Posted by: Laurie~Green-Eyed Grrl at May 30, 2005 01:39 PM

One more thing--give JSDN another chance. I loved it and by the time I was through missed living in misty old England.

Posted by: Laurie~Green-Eyed Grrl at May 30, 2005 01:40 PM

Laurie - we're still reading Never Let Me Go for June. DQ (or other choice) would be for July/August.

Thanks - I will try Strange again.

Posted by: Knit One Read Too at May 30, 2005 01:45 PM

I love the idea of a big book for the summer months.

Posted by: Morgan at May 30, 2005 07:16 PM

No to East of Eden only because I just finished it with my 'live' club, but it does make good discussion. I like the idea of DQ or Brothers K...

Posted by: Rebecca at May 30, 2005 08:34 PM

DQ sounds intriguing! Will think of some other titles!

Posted by: Christine at May 30, 2005 08:45 PM

Well, you read my mind. I've been wanting to read Don Quixote for a long time. I'll be reading it in Spanish!

Posted by: Nancy at May 31, 2005 01:56 AM

I'll be pleased with any of the choices suggested, but I'm going to cast a lonely vote for Brothers K. It's one of my husband's favorites, and it's been on my reading list for ages.

BTW, "Never Let Me Go" is giving me nightmares.

Posted by: Kirsten at May 31, 2005 08:43 AM

Any of those sound good except Bleak House. I tried that (granted ages ago) and found it much more dense and dry than Dickens other works.

Posted by: Seanna Lea at May 31, 2005 09:20 AM

I've read many long epic books and loved them, just couldn't connect with JSMN, so it doesn't mean anything to connect that with DQ.

Posted by: Amy at May 31, 2005 11:35 AM

I'd also be happy to read Anna Karenina - I recently bought the new translation. Villette is also a fine idea.

Posted by: Elizabeth at May 31, 2005 10:39 PM

I'd love to reread Anna Karenina although I know a bunch of knitters read it last summer.

I'll give DQ a whirl if that's what the group agrees on.

Posted by: Christy at June 1, 2005 10:11 AM

I would love to read DQ, but I certainly wouldn't "tilt at any windmills" if any of the other great books are selected.

Posted by: Julia at June 1, 2005 04:42 PM

I like the idea of a big book - perhaps we could break it up into chunks, so that we could have "mini" discussions along the way - I know that would help me keep up. I'm up for anything but Bleak House - blech.

Posted by: Jenn at June 2, 2005 11:21 PM

How about East of Eden.. a steamy beach read. Good brother, bad brother and the evil temptress...perfect summer reading.

Posted by: Patricia at June 8, 2005 09:26 PM

DQ doesn't seem to spark my interest, however, I would read it if it was chosen for the summer months. The Brothers Karamazov looked the most interesting, to me, of the books mentioned above.

I would really love to see us discuss The Kite Runner. I am about half way through this amazing book and just know that all of you would enjoy it as much as I have. Please give The Kite Runner a chance.

Posted by: atouria at June 12, 2005 05:06 PM

DQ and the Brothers K should definately be on the ballot-but I'll have a hard time choosing! I just realised that there aren't any French classics in the running- how bout Madame Bovary (sp?), something by Hugo: Hunchback, Les Mis; or Proust or Zola? any takers? *I have to use my French degree at some point!*

Posted by: tara at June 12, 2005 09:36 PM