« April Winner! | Main | Strange Discussion Moved to May 2nd »

March 29, 2005

Help! March Discussion Dilemma!

The Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell discussion is set to begin in less than a week. I don't know about you, but I've only got 150 pages read. I'm enjoying the book though and would definitely like to be part of the discussion. So, I'm asking for your help. If you would like to still have the discussion begin on April 4th, I would ask for a volunteer to help me jumpstart the discussion. OR, we could postpone the discussion and move everything back a month. Start the Strange discussion on May 2nd and move The Time Travelers Wife back to June. Let me know what you think! If you have other ideas, let me know that too. I'll close the voting at the end of the day on Thursday.

Thank you so much!

VOTING CLOSED.

Posted by Knit One Read Too at March 29, 2005 06:18 PM

Comments

Push it back, push it back, push it back. Or is that forward? Damn, that always confuzzes me.

Posted by: Wendy at March 29, 2005 06:36 PM

Yeah, right? Which one is it? Whatever. ;-)
You know what I mean. Seems like I'm not the only one still getting through it.

I want to reiterate though - I'm really enjoying Jonathan Strange! And it's so NOT my kind of book. (For instance, I'm the only human left on the planet who has yet to read ANY of the Harry Potter books. I haven't even seen the movies!)

So glad I started this group! :-)

Posted by: Cara at March 29, 2005 06:51 PM

I was so crushed for time reading this that I finally broke down and purchased the audio book. That way I can knit and "read" - indulging in two of my passions.

Posted by: Nanc at March 29, 2005 06:56 PM

I listened to the book on audio too. It's a good way to get through it if you're a slow reader, or if you like to read and do something with your hands at the same time.

Posted by: Janice in GA at March 29, 2005 09:11 PM

I can read too. It's just getting through an adult book seems long (I've got a little one to read to, his books have pictures!) but the read so far is good.

Thanks for the vote. A push up is much appreciated!

Posted by: genia at March 29, 2005 09:44 PM

i might suggest when book are long like this one that we extend the reading period in order to give everyone time to read the book.

Posted by: karon at March 29, 2005 10:11 PM

I agree with Karon. If books are long we should extend the reading period. Thanks.

Posted by: Nancy at March 29, 2005 11:24 PM

I'm glad to know I'm not the only slow reader:) It is quite an interesting book though. I'm glad it was chosen.

Posted by: Deb at March 29, 2005 11:30 PM

I'm one of the few for keeping it in April~mainly because I'm apt to forget all my brilliant observations. Perhaps I should take notes. Anyway, I'm only about two-thirds through it, but am fascinated by the story and wonder when it's all going to come together. When will Strange finally figure out what's going on with the thistle-haired man?

Posted by: Laurie~Green-Eyed Grrl at March 30, 2005 02:56 AM

Pushing it to May would be great for me! Since I only joined in the middle of March, I wasn't going to start a book until the next one. If the Jonathan Strange vote pushes the discussion back to May, I'll pick up the book and start reading away.

Posted by: Annie at March 30, 2005 11:20 AM

Thank you, thank you (for the extension). This is my very first venture into a book club and I really wanted to finish the book before the discussion. I also have not read a book like this before (Wendy), so maybe the magic is that much better for it?

Shelly

Posted by: Shelly Walker at March 30, 2005 11:40 AM

Sorry Wendy, my comment was in reply to Cara's statement.

Shelly

Posted by: shelly Walker at March 30, 2005 11:43 AM

I'm almost done, but only because I got the audiobook - I would have never found time this month to read it. I agree that with such a long book, we should extend the reading period.

Posted by: Lisa at March 30, 2005 01:22 PM

Cara! I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, either! You are not alone... Unfortunately, I am nearly as behind in all my other reading!

Posted by: Vicki at March 30, 2005 01:32 PM

when i initially got your email, i too had only gotten through 150 pages. i tend to "plow" through books and "mr norell" is not letting me read as fast as i'd like. so, i suppose pushing it back to may will give me time to read a bunch of other books and stay on track with j.s. and mr norell too. isn't it nice how some things work out?

Posted by: ana at April 3, 2005 05:08 PM