« February Book Discussion Begins! | Main | Vote! »

February 28, 2005

Nominations for April's Book!

Our February book discussion officially starts today! That means we need to pick a new book.

This entry will serve as the nomination collection group. Leave your nominations for the book you'd like to discuss in April in the comments on this post. At the end of the week, I will put up a poll for voting with four or five choices. (I'll try to make it as democratic as possible when deciding on the polling options!)

So give me your titles everyone!
Thanks,
Cara

PS - Don't forget: The book we will be reading in March is a long one: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell.

Posted by Knit One Read Too at February 28, 2005 05:26 PM

Comments

One I read and liked: Motherless Brooklyn, by Jonathan Lethem.

Two I haven't read and have wanted to:
A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews, or The Known World, by Edward P. Jones

I'd rank the Toewes book as my first choice.

Posted by: Donna at February 28, 2005 05:56 PM

Here's a quick and easy read:

Swimming Sweet Arrow by Maureen Gibbon.

Posted by: Sara* at February 28, 2005 06:49 PM

I just finished Don't Lets Go to The Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller. Its a good one to talk about.

Posted by: gale at February 28, 2005 07:32 PM

One I haven't read that's gotten interesting reviews: A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell. I read her other two books, and they were quite thought-provoking.

Posted by: Terby at March 1, 2005 01:22 AM

I'll throw in a couple of books nominated by the New York Times as being the best fiction of 2004 (one of the others was Plot Against America).

Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson

Snow, by Orhan Pamuk (on the short list for January here)

The Tyrant's Novel, by Thomas Keneally

Link to reviews here (and lots of other good choices)

Posted by: Lorette at March 1, 2005 02:20 AM

I'd like to suggest "The Passion" or "Written on the Body" by Jeanette Winterson.

I think Winterson's earlier works are absolutely brilliant.

Posted by: Elisa at March 1, 2005 07:16 AM

The Time Traveller's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger

Posted by: MJ at March 1, 2005 03:29 PM

I think "Survivor" or "Lullaby" by Chuck Pahlinuk would be great. He wrote "Fight Club," and the book is way better than the movie.

Another book I would like to see discussed is "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde. This is the first in a series of four, and I am so sucked it. It has been called "Harry Potter for Adults."

Posted by: lisa at March 1, 2005 07:07 PM

I would like to suggest these that I've been wanting to read -

Brick Lane by Monica Ali

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Posted by: Jenn at March 1, 2005 11:08 PM

I'd like to nominate "The Time Traveler's Wife" as well. Been wanting to read it but haven't really found the time. This would be a good excuse!

Posted by: Geniap at March 2, 2005 08:06 AM

I'd like to nominate "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. I just started it and think it would make for some interesting disscussions. I recently finished The Time Traveler's Wife and loved it -- one of my all time favorites!

Posted by: Dyann at March 3, 2005 08:41 PM

I'd definitely be part of a coalition in favor of The Namesake. I am also wanting to read Pearl (Mary Gordon) if any of the rest of you heard her interviewed on Diane Rehm this week. Mother/Daughter relationship, Political activism (in Ireland), Catholic/Jewish family heritage. Maybe most of you are not old enough to have grown children... or are fortunate to have had parents who were never stunned by your behavior... but for the rest of us, it is worth thinking about!

Posted by: Dana at March 4, 2005 01:09 AM

I'd like to nominate The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. It's one of the most clever, captivating books I've ever read, and it's one of the few that made me bawl at times and re-evaluate the decisions I'd made in life.

Posted by: Lauren at March 4, 2005 10:33 AM

I'd be interested in reading The Kite Runner. I would love to learn more about Afghanistan. I Capture The Castle is another book I'd be interested in reading as well.

Posted by: Sandy J at March 4, 2005 11:49 AM

I second the nominations for "Brick Lane" and "Kite Runner." I also want to read "Persepolis" - it's a graphic novel about a girl growing up in Iran.

Posted by: Elizabeth at March 4, 2005 12:39 PM

Thread of Grace is a great book...that would make for a good discussion. It's about the resistance movement in Italy during WWII. Dora Russell is VERY serious about getting the historical part of her fiction accurate.

Posted by: Wendy at March 4, 2005 01:24 PM